Friday 15 July 2011

The Art of Writing a Short Story

The Bookshop Guru

I've tried many times and have given up just as much. I have read many articles on how to write short stories, and I have read many short stories trying to get a handle on what to do. Sounds pretty hopeless, doesn’t? I even read Hemingway’s “the art of the short story” which like he says, tell it how it is. “The woman was a bitch; well she gave everyone the pox” he says. If there is a formula, please let me know.


But the challenge could be profitable, so I have set myself a goal. To finish writing a short story by the 25th of this month. I need an extra couple of weeks for editing, or I should say my friend does, who edited my first two books. It’s a worthwhile challenge, I think first prize is worth several thousand and I could do with the money. Whatever happens, it’s all good fun.

Like I said over last few months I have tried many times writing out new stories, but not been happy with the results. So I have begun with this one differently. I like to try new ideas if they fit, great! But, I still find the computer puts up a barrier, so I sketch the ideas with a few sentences in a note book without lines. I even find ruled notebooks a barrier; don’t ask me why, I just do. I prefer the blankness of clear white paper.

Gradually relaxing I get into my comfort zone and when it feels right… I begin. At first it seems like a miss-mash of narrative, but that’s good, nothing ordered, it might work this time. The characters will be born from the chaos I have created.

The goal…the rejection it’s all part of the process. A mix-up of words and paragraphs, an experiment, I guess.


My next task, in no particular order is to ask, who’s telling the story? And how shall I tell it. And what is the story? These ramblings are how I have tackled the art of the short story. Only my peers and I will know if I have realized my goal.

P.S. Sponsored by Madbrokes a comedian on antidepressants.


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

In my latest book “It’s Never Too Late” read how dreams do come true, but be careful what you wish for. Understand the secret of greed and you will attain one of the secrets of prosperity. The book will also take you on a journey and explores love, money, luck, and much more.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hey, Chuck. Did you bring any spending money? Viva la vida loca.


Conducting Survey into Precognitive Choices

Which would you prefer half-price digital or paperback?

 Read my latest book "It's Never Too Late" by Anthony Fox,  published by Chipmunka Publishing

2 comments:

  1. I hope that short story is coming along. Is this for a contest as well? In my blog How do you write? I think I cover some of these same problems or can we call them anxieties? One must have an idea before sitting down to write of course and then it is exciting to watch the words tumble on the page.
    I, like you, used to have a problem composing on the computer. Most of my short stories were written long hand. I don't mind a lined page as it helps me to not run the lines all together. I do though like the freedom of no lines as well. Good Luck with the short story, always something I found challenging. It seemed when writing a short story I always had more to say than could go in it, so that is why I stared writing novels instead.
    I think writing short stories is very difficult as one must condense so much and yet get their point across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol,
    Yes,it is for a short story competition. Like I said, I am trying a different methods hoping this provides results. I should be working on my next book, but I beleive sometimes its good to try different things you learn more that way. prefer the note book to get me started. I believe this method is like what actors practice the improvisation.

    ReplyDelete