Saturday 30 July 2011

My Diary: Short Story

The Bookshop Guru

My Diary: Short Story Update

My thoughts so far. As you know, I have been working on a short story. And, well, you guessed it, it’s tough. If you have read my previous article on ‘the art of the short story’ which I said how difficult it was having never completed one before. Tell a lie. That’s not strictly true.

I remember the first story I wrote, it was when I was about ten years old, living in America and writing a story for a homework project. I wrote about ‘what it must be like to be blind,’ it won a gold star from the teacher. I was well pleased, I remember at the time. How many words, well I don’t remember. I don’t think it matters how many words it is. Any multiples of five hundred and it’s still a story and some characters that, too me, are the most important items and as Hemingway says in the ‘iceberg theory’ you have to leave much to the imagination, otherwise you describe to much about nothing. In other words, the reader is clogged with descriptive diarrhea.

Apart from all that, I have been busy working on my next book, or should I say several; I am at that stage at the moment, not really focusing down on one book. I have been waiting to get this short story entry out of the way. So the whole process has been a learning curve.

My interest started way back in January, when I first found out about the Manchester University short story competition. I wanted to improve my writing skills and so this became a challenge and a goal. I wanted to see if I could write a short story that I would be happy with and could enter the competition. If I wasn’t happy with my efforts then I wouldn’t attempt entering just any old crap. And believe me, not for lack of trying. 

I have written several stories, but each time not been happy, so far. Its only today, pretty much at crunch time for submission, but luckily for me, I’ve settled on a story. Not forgetting, my efforts and writing new stories each time. Plus the research and reading of several short stories. Like Hemingway’s the ‘the art of the short story’ and much more. It’s been a slog, at times. Never happy with grammar, but that’s English bread and butter in the industry.


And now the image, well, that's a possible location 'Bum Island' in my next book

P.S. Sponsored by Madbrokes a comedian on antidepressants.


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

In my latest book “It’s Never Too Late” read how dreams do come true, but be careful what you wish for. Understand the secret of greed and you will attain one of the secrets of prosperity. The book will also take you on a journey and explores love, money, luck, and much more.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hey, Chuck. Did you bring any spending money? Viva la vida loca.


Conducting Survey into Precognitive Choices

Which would you prefer half-price digital or paperback?

 Read my latest book "It's Never Too Late" by Anthony Fox,  published by Chipmunka Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment