Friday 12 August 2011

“…back to the 1980s…” Short Story Update

The Bookshop Guru

I finished and submitted my entry. What a task, as you remember from previous articles posted here, that writing a short story is no easy task. But one, that has been a challenge and a goal over the past months for me. Not for lack of trying I have explained how I have written several short stories and not been happy.

Anyway, the task is complete and only a few hours before the deadline for the competition, which ends today at 5.pm UK time.

The process of writing of writing a short story is arduous, to say the least. But, I am happy with the result. A readable story in 3000 words or less is the criteria. It has taken several stages from creation and idea to writing dialogue. Framing a story and reading how to write a short story have been all part of the mix.


I reflected back to the 1980s for the era and the mood of the story. I created characters and set the scene and let events tell the story. I used an approach made famous by Hemingway called the ‘iceberg theory’ which characterizes many of his books.

Relieved, I can now get back to writing my next book. Writing a short story takes a lot of time, from research to writing dialogue, it’s no easy task. And then the editing, the same for writing a book you need to use the same professional approach applied to the task of writing a short story. I wanted to improve my writing skills and at the same time test and challenge myself. A job well done!

Currently reading:  
Time Riders by Alex Scarrow

Cadillac Fin Suitcase by Michael Walsh

The Escapades of Glamor Grans on Holiday by Micki Street

P.S. Sponsored by Madbrokes a comedian on antidepressants.


iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

John Newman - Love Me Again

Love and Listen

In my latest book “It’s Never Too Late” read how dreams do come true, but be careful what you wish for. Understand the secret of greed and you will attain one of the secrets of prosperity. The book will also take you on a journey and explores love, money, luck, and much more.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hey, Chuck. Did you bring any spending money? Viva la vida loca.


Conducting Survey into Precognitive Choices

Which would you prefer half-price digital or paperback?

 Read my latest book "It's Never Too Late" by Anthony Fox,  published by Chipmunka Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment